Friday, June 13, 2014

The Dreaded Interview Process

I'm not an expert at interviews.  In fact I hate them.  I don't like talking about myself or answering what I consider silly questions that don't even pertain to my ability to perform a job.

If I were an employer who had to interview people, I like to think I would keep things simple.  Can you perform the tasks required?  Do you have experience or education in the field?  Are you dependable and trustworthy?  And so on...

I'm probably not going to ask why you want to work for me.  Most people want to work, because they need money.  Let's be honest, here.  There may be the rare individual who wants to work because they love a certain field or want to keep busy, but many of us are simply trying to pay our bills and support our families.

If I were asking interview questions, I would try not to make the perspective employees uncomfortable or put them on the spot.  Perhaps some people enjoy doing that to see how someone performs under pressure, but from my own experience, I am a great worker, very dependable, and I do my job to the best of my ability every day.  I'm not good at interviews.  I'm not good at thinking of the right things that perspective employers want to hear, but I will work my tail off to make you look good, and you can sure as heck depend on me to get the job done and show up on time.

So if you are an employer, you don't have to interview people according to what experts say.  Ask them what you truly want to know.  Try to keep them comfortable, and remember that interviews are stressful, and people might not always be at their best during them.

No comments:

Post a Comment